Ballet Grades 1 – 3 Syllabi
Age: 7 to 10 years
The Graded syllabi provide a broad practical dance education developing the technical, musical and performance skills of the student. Through the use of musically inspired exercises and dances, the students will learn joy in movement, creative interpretation and a sense of dance and performance quality.
The ballet classes incorporate Classical Ballet, Free Movement and Character:
• Classical Ballet is the core of the syllabus, the foundation and the most important part of the syllabus; classes start to get more technical and full ballet phrasing is used.
• Free Movement incorporates movements in common with dance genres such as Natural Movement, Contemporary and Classical Greek; where the children are allowed to express themselves more freely through travelling steps and relaxation exercises.
• Character is the theatrical presentation of national dance using ethnic dance and music, which has been freely adapted for the theatre. Three styles have been selected for study: Hungarian, Russian and Polish
The aims of the Graded Examination syllabus are to:
• promote the study of ballet and related dance disciplines as a leisure and/or vocational activity;
• To increase the students ability to demonstrate practical knowledge of the dance disciplines of ballet and character;
• promote and encourage enjoyment of movement as a form of physical exercise;
• provide all candidates, particularly children and young people, with an opportunity of experiencing dance accompanied by live and recorded music;
• increase self-confidence in the student through the learning, memorising and performing of prescribed sequences of movement, studies and dances;
• develop an awareness and understanding of working with others;
• aid the development of a general appreciation of music through dancing to various musical styles and rhythmic patterns.
The Graded syllabi are appropriate for students from the age of six years.
Most children are prepared for taking Royal Academy of Dance grade exams. However, this is not compulsory and other arrangements can be made.
Please note: The above ages are used as a guideline only.
WHAT TO WEAR?
To distinguish these children from the younger group they have a different coloured uniform. The children are required to wear our school and RAD recommended uniform which is;
Grade 1 & 2 girls – Pale blue RAD sleeveless leotard and belt, pink ballet socks and pink ballet shoes with elastic sewn in, character skirt and character shoes with hair tied back.
Grade 1 & 2 Boys – Black RAD shorts, white RAD t-shirt, white leotard, white ballet socks, black ballet shoes, with elastic sewn in and character shoes.
Grade 3 girls – Mulberry RAD sleeveless leotard, pink ballet tights, and pink ballet shoes with elastic sewn in, character shoes and character skirt and hair tied back.
Grade 3 Boys – Black RAD shorts, white RAD t-shirt, white leotard, white ballet socks, black ballet shoes and character shoes.
Our in house dance shop can provide all of the above, please ask the receptionist, however if you wish to source your own please ensure that you get the correct colour, style and brand as there are many other brands available.
Please contact us for further information.